Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Kids say the darndest things....

My post will be short today. The twins have been cracking me up with the things they have been saying lately and I had to record some of it, for posterity sake. (Sorry to all of you readers who have seen these comments on my facebook page, consider it a rerun.)

So today, me and the twins are at the store. I was looking for some night lights in the home improvement area at Wal-Mart and Gavin, pointing at all the toilet seats hanging up on the wall, and said "mom, are those the toilet plates?". It actually took me a minuet for it to register in my brain, and when I saw him looking at the toilet seats I couldn't help but laugh out loud.

Earlier on this morning, they were both sitting here watching Sleeping Beauty. It was at the part where Aurora is in the forest singing to herself. I joined in and started singing with her. Isabelle started crying and covering her ears. Writhing on the floor like she was in pain. She was crying, "stop, Mommy, Stop!". When I asked her why I needed to stop, she said "because I don't like it, its hurting my ears!". I guess I need a few voice lessons.

Last night, I was doing the bedtime routine. Scott is out of town and so I do things a little differently when hes gone. We will usually divide and conquer the kids at bedtime, each putting our share of them to bed. Our routine is to say a prayer with each of them and sing a song to each of them. Since I am the only one here, I decided instead of singing four separate times, we could just kneel in family prayer, together and then I would sing one song to all of them at the same time. The idea went over OK, although Isabelle thought it was family night and started leading the music and singing along. I shuffled them all up to bed and it came to Gavin's turn.
He took my hand as I laid him down then I gave him his two butterfly kisses, and an Eskimo kiss and numerous other pecks on the cheek, and a tickle under the neck, as is customary. When I started to get up he squeezed my hand and said, "mom, you need to sing me a closing song." That kid melts me in my tracks. I couldn't deny him.

I know I sometimes complain that it is hard, and I get irritated when they are all so needy. But there is nothing in this world that is more meaningful to me than my darling kids. Apart from my husband and God of course. But they are all pretty equal.
I feel so unbelievably blessed with every day I am allowed to be here with them. I know I will always be their mom, even in Heaven and the worlds to come. But do you really think there will be "toilet plates" there? Only those precious moments, can be shared here. I'm sure the moments we will share in the Eternities will not compare, but I will have these ones that will always be endearing and precious to me.

7 comments:

Mansell Six said...

They are SOOOOOO cute!! Can't wait to see them! One more month!!

Ambyr said...

You just made me cry! Your kids sound like so much fun. I love the little things that all kids (including mine) come up with to say. I hope there are "Toilet Plates" in Heaven, I don't want to fall in. You are a great Mom.

Rainie said...

What a cute bunch you have. I love thier comments. If Isabelle heard me sing she would think your voice was amazing.

jociebills said...

I'm bummed you didn't include Isabelle's "Mommy Arnett, listen to me!" Classic! I absolutely ADORE those two!

Brenda said...

Those two are so adorable! You will be and so will they for that matter, be so happy that you recorded all of their cute sayings!

Jules said...

Oh my goodness, they are so adorable! Last time I saw them they were babies and I think Isabelle was wearing a cast. Next time skip Destin and drive a couple hours and come visit us!

Your conclusion is exactly how I feel! I wish I could put it into words as succinctly has you do.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Gavin asking for a closing song!

Cindy