
So this last weekend we went camping. I absolutely love camping but I haven't gone in a few years.
I was just lamenting to myself how, I hate that I cant do the things I used to love. Like camping and snowboarding, and water skiing. I was boo hooing about not being able to teach my kids these things and show them what I love. I'm just a boring couch potato now.
So when we got the opportunity to go on a ward camp out, I jumped at the chance, knowing that I would have a lot of kids there to help entertain mine. And quite honestly, that I would have someone there to do the COOKING! That is the most work! (I truly have become the laziest thing on earth. I constantly look for a free meal even!! so sad)
Anyway, we loaded up the tents, the dog, and sleeping bags. We left the stoves, brought the cannoli, and of course the MATTRESSES! I cant camp like I used to, on the hard ground. I've not only become lazy, but I'm a sissy! We ended up taking as much junk as we usually load for a three week trip to Utah, and drove the WHOLE 25 minuets to the camp ground. It was a trek!
There were no gators, or monkeys in the trees, but it was super fun to be getting back into the wilderness (Texas style) again.
Since this was the twins first ever camping trip I was really excited about them being able to go. They are getting super fun as far as travel and adventures go. They are lower maintenance and more independent so it is just fun family time, less care giving=more fun, if you know what I mean.
Not ten minuets after we got there, Gavin had already fallen in the muddy water and was covered from head to toe in wet grime. I then realized that I had forgotten my CAMERA! A travesty! And when Scott told me we forgot the tarp to lay the tent on, I decided that I would make the 25 minuet trek back home to get the stuff.
While I was at home, retrieving the goods, Scott called and told me he had broken a tent pole. So I stopped by Walmart to pick that up too.
I had loaded Gretchen up with me, so that Scott could set up the camp without worrying about her wandering off. She was acting really funny and I thought maybe she was just nervous about what was going on. After all it was her first camping trip too! For years, at least.
I gathered up all my stuff, went to Walmart, and as I'm getting back in the car I could smell this terrible putrid smell. Like the kids had left a cup of milk, or rotting meat in the back seat. I had kinda gotten a whiff of it on my way to the store, and I was thinking that maybe a fan or exaust system was going out in the car. I had just had the car cleaned, so I knew there wasn't any food or decomposing carcasses in there!
As I got on my way, Gretchen settled in and we hit the road, the whole 17.1 miles to the campground. I pulled up and started unloading the car, when I saw a smear of something gooey and brown!
Isabelle had been climbing around in the car, so I immediately checked her shoes for dog poop. They were just covered with mud, so I kept at my work.
I'm smelling this fetid smell even stronger so I decided I'd better start investigating. I climb into the back of the car, look over onto the seat and what do I see??? Yep you guessed it. POOP!
I wanted to kill the dog. She pooped in my CAR! Luckily I don't leave home without an entire economy size bottle of antibacterial wipes, so I got the poop cleaned up really fast. But then I felt like I could smell it every where I went. I felt like I couldn't get my hands clean! It was super gross. After a half of a bottle of Lysol wipes, I finally felt satisfied with the cleanup.
The only thing I can ever do when things like this happen is laugh. REALLY, is it just me? Am I really the Griswold mom? Are these things normal?? At the end of the day, after my frustration runs out, and I sit and reflect on my luck, I can only laugh.
After the poop incident, the camp out was a blast. My kids sat around the camp fire and ate strawberry, coconut, and regular s'mores. Because I am the coolest mom ever, who bought every variety of marshmallows I could find. PS. the coconut was a hit.
They all took turns telling their own ghost stories, which was absolutely priceless. And Gavin BEGGED the entire time if we could start our camp out and get in the tent to go to sleep.
HE was so cute. Isabelle, was super cute and wanted to explore, and I didn't hear any kid complain about bugs or being cold. They had a blast.
The only thing that was a pain, is that since MEN planned the camp out, we were the very farthest campsite from the bathrooms (no offense, men. You did great) and we had to drive our cars to the bathroom. Luckily though, I didn't have any kids wake up in the night for potty breaks.
GRETCHEN, however, could not stop going potty. I think it was all the dropped food and marshmallows. She was sicker than a dog.
Finally about 1:00 am we all settled in and went to sleep. We had a restless night, but I didn't expect anything different, and woke up super early.
Although it was a lot of work, and super tiring for me, I am already excited to go again.
Though I have to say, Gretchen will be staying home....
No comments:
Post a Comment